password protecting sheets

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create an excel document where we can all store sensitive information. The goal is to have the whole workbook encrypted, and then have a "master sheet" that has the basic template and any shared information, and then have each employee have their own tab that is password protected from viewing with their own password. So basically, hiding the sheets, but having a different password to unhide each sheet. Is this possible? 

2 Replies

@stephaniemarie 

Hi 

When it comes to sensitive information then I do not recommend the file to be shared that defeats the purpose of protection. Remember protection can be bridged at different levels.

There are multiple levels of protection in Excel:

1- protecting the entire file from being Opened and/Or Modified while Saving it
 Save As >> Tools > General Options >> Provide Password

2- Protecting the Worksheet & Workbook structure
Review Tab >> Protect Sheet >> Password

3- Hiding the Worksheet deeply so it cannot be Unhidden
Go To VBE >> ALT + F11 >> Select the Sheet in the project explorer (CTRL + R >> F4 (Properties Window) >> The last option select "Very Hidden" .> You may consider also protecting the code.

@nabilmourad 

Hello,

How do i stop someone from unhiding my excel sheets ?

As you said hide using vba properties, so i have hide my sheets using vba properties which is very hidden. And also i have protect my vba project with password. But at the end i can easily unhide my hideen sheets by writing simple vba code in immediate window or from any other workbook. So which one is the efficient way to hide worksheets in excel so that nobody can unhide those worksheets?