Home

no links/VBA/addons, but : Microsoft excel waiting for another application to complete an ole action

Helen_M
Visitor

Hi,

Excel stops working about every 20 minutes for a few minutes -I just have to wait - and then this message pops up: ""microsoft excel waiting for another application to complete an ole action". Thereafter it works again, I can save etc., but it is highly interruptive and annoying. 

The excel files does not have any links, embedded files, not a single add-on is activated in excel. 

I have checked all the common hints that can be found, ticked "ignore other applications using DDE" in excel options, updated the office package, updated windows - nothing I have tried so far helps.

Again, the weird thing is that there are no embedded links or the like, and I have no idea what the reason could be for this error message to keep emerging.

Any advice is highly appreciated!  

Thanks

Helen

1 Reply
Hi Helen,

I suspect there is a hidden link that you're not able to see via normal "Built in" Excel tools like DATA --> EDIT LINKS.
Sometimes these are buried in things like charts, that have been copied from one file to another.

Download an Excel add-in tool from Microsoft called "INQUIRE". That add-in allows you to interrogate the whole spreadsheet and reports ALL links. Then you should be able to remove them.

N
Related Conversations
Stable version of Edge insider browser
HotCakeX in Discussions on
35 Replies
flashing a white screen while open new tab
cntvertex in Discussions on
13 Replies
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
22 Replies
How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch