mark the whole next column when i press enter (using macro?)

Copper Contributor

hi everyone

i have a file that i'm working on everyday 

it has about 40 columns, and everyday i have to give unique 'table' names to every column, and everyday the names are different so i cant use anything automatic sadly.

so right now, every morning i load the file, mark column A, give it a unique 'name', press 'enter', use the mouse again to go and mark the next column B, use the mouse again to go to the table name area, give it a name, enter... etc.... etc..

as u can see it takes long, and for no reason.

i was wondering if theres a way to create some Macro that ill enable it only when im using this file, and every time ill press "enter" it'll automatically mark the next column (a-b-c-d) and go back to the table name area - and then all ill have left to do is just type the next name and press enter everytime ... 

when im done - i disable the macro.

please????????

sorry for my english

thanks.

adi.

3 Replies

@doomiloom1 Perhaps this little macro helps?

Option Explicit

Sub RenameAllTables()
    Dim sNewName As String
    Dim oLo As ListObject
    For Each oLo In ActiveSheet.ListObjects
        Application.Goto oLo.Range.Cells(1, 1)
        sNewName = ""
        sNewName = InputBox("Please enter the new name for this table", "New table name", oLo.Name)
        If Len(sNewName) > 0 Then
            oLo.Name = sNewName
        End If
    Next
End Sub

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

thanks for the response

tried it

it doesn't seem to do anything ?   .. ?

i enabled marcos and everything. 

still nothing really happens when i "run" it

my main goal is when i press "enter" - excel will automatically mark the next column, for example - B:B and will go to the "table name" area, then ill put the name and press "enter" again and everything keeps going, until i decide to just stop the macro

The code assumes you already have tables and just have to rename them, that is what I understood form your question. If not, Why are you creating a table for columns which are next to each other? that is poor design and can lead to confusion. I always have at least one empty column between two tables.