SOLVED

incorrect rounding when dealing with time

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet set to subtract hours worked then to sum total hours worked. For example, when it sums the values it rounds 6:06 to 6:10, as total time worked. Is there a way to stop this rounding? I've included these two screenshots in case they are useful. Any help would be appreciated.ye.PNGformula.PNG

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Dylan Gilhooly (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

if you multiply a time value with 24, you convert it into a decimal number. The original time value 6:06 is 6 hours and six minutes. Six minutes are 1/10 of an hour. In decimal values, six minutes will be 0.1, 30 minutes will be 0.5, 45 minutes will be 0.75. So the decimal value 6.1 is six hours plusa tenth of an hour, just like the time value 6:06.

Note that the result of your formula is NOT a time value and it is correct.

By the way, there is no reason to wrap your formula into the Sum function. you can just use

=D52*24

thankyou! thanks makes much more sense now. In the full spreadsheet, there are more values being summed so I kept that part consistent when trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

Thanks for your help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dylan Gilhooly (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

if you multiply a time value with 24, you convert it into a decimal number. The original time value 6:06 is 6 hours and six minutes. Six minutes are 1/10 of an hour. In decimal values, six minutes will be 0.1, 30 minutes will be 0.5, 45 minutes will be 0.75. So the decimal value 6.1 is six hours plusa tenth of an hour, just like the time value 6:06.

Note that the result of your formula is NOT a time value and it is correct.

By the way, there is no reason to wrap your formula into the Sum function. you can just use

=D52*24

View solution in original post