how to remove external links from excel

Copper Contributor

hello

Please help me with following task - I try to remove external links from excel:

Data==>Edit Links==>break link

It does not work - still I have that external links in the list. Even I close and open excel file - still have it.

27 Replies

@Leon Tribe good idea, but if I save mine in 97-2000 format, it will remove all new features like security features which are unfortunately necessarily for my case. So for this particular secure files, it will not work for me...

I highly recommend FindLink which is also capable of removing them, see http://www.manville.org.uk/software/findlink.htm

I had same issue. Here's what I did
Formulas Tab --> Name Manager --> Deleted all names
[Check what cells they refer to before deleting]

FYI : Break links didn't work for me too..

@k l Just a quick THANKS!

Been driving me crazy, but was datavalidation in my case too.  I just selected all, cleared validation and boom, problem gone!

I found using the compatibility checker for 97-2000 format was enough, let me identify that there was a conditional formatting rule referencing the linked workbook
This worked perfect, thanks!
Thanks a ton, nothing else was working. I tried this and it pointed out exactly where the issue was (data validation).

@Kacper Modzelewksi 

If your problem is not resolving by deleting links option in available in Data-Edit Link than you should try Name Manager option available in Formula option.

Sometimes some name got link with some files and got messy due to repeated use remove unknow names showing errors your problem will be solved.

M A Ghori