find and replace

Copper Contributor

Using the find and replace function but a window pops up for EVERY replacement where I have to select the new file.  help!

5 Replies
Hi Bcurtis1, When you say select the new file what do you mean? Can you do Replace all?

I'm selecting ctrl+h, entering my data and hitting enter.  The find data is from another computer so it's (simplified) E\file\usethis lets say and I'm replacing to a file located on my desktop (WeekMay2).  When I hit replace all, I get a dialogue box that says Update Values WeekMay2.xls, it's opening a folder I have on my desktop w/ the WeekMay2 file in it - I then have to select the open the WeekMay2 file for every replace I need to do.  There's around 28k of them, so doing this by hand isn't an option.

I've managed to work around this by only replacing the first cells across my row and then copying down, but I have to do this in multiple places and would prefer to find/replace across the entire worksheet.

@Bcurtis1 I am having a similar problem.  I am attempting to change all my cells from one reference sheet to another.  All I need to do is change the text in each formula from "mar" to "jun" in each cell and it will work.  I have done this in the past.  But excel is asking me to open a file?  Confused.

@Bcurtis1 wrote:

Using the find and replace function but a window pops up for EVERY replacement where I have to select the new file.  help!

@russell_riveraI may have found a sort of work around.  When opening the file I had the option to edit the links.  If I changed the links there, it worked faster.  And, once I got through this once it was ok going forward.  I've also found having the old file AND the new file open is helpful.

@Bcurtis1 Thanks for responding. I did find the source of my issue.  As it was saved in an '97-03 format.  I had to find a legacy copy of the file (in '16 format) and rebuild it (was just some copy and paste).  Thanks for your help.