excel only showing first value over again when I drag a formula down

Copper Contributor

Hi

My excel seems to only show the first value of a formula over again when I try and drag it down for other values in a table

please help

ie

6 6 formula A1*A2 36

7 7 formula B1 *B2 36 (not 47)

8 8 formula C1 * C2 36 (not 64)

7 Replies

is your first forumla A1*A2 or is it something like: $A$1*$A$2

If it is, delete the $ and drag it down again

Thank you Philip

No. There are no dollar signs

I have used excel for several decades.

Suddenly my excel changed for no reason I can account for and even for the most simple formulas i am experiencing this problem

If i re-click of the formula bar for the subsequent items in the table then they read the corect value, but on the initial drag, or if i change a value without reclicking the formula bar it does not change.

is there a function that keeps the first formula entry the same as all other entries in a table or series

It might be that you have accidentally turned automatic calculation off then.. go to the Formulas ribbon, calculate options and make sure Automatic is ticked.. Hopefully its currently set to manual and thats the problem.

It worked

My hats of to you and eternal gratitude

you are a genius

One simple thing has screwed me for months

I will blame my 2 yr old who often slams my keyboard pad trying to figure it out and pretend he is like his dad, just as stupid too

regards

Haha, super! Glad it worked.

just found the hot key is _m, very easy to do. I have been running my business accounts on manual for months and have no idea how much this change has effected quotes and accounting

A mistake like this could cost a business thousands in accounting