SOLVED

complex finance formula

Copper Contributor

Im working on a finance spreadsheet. I want a formula that would allow me to 'transfer' money from one budget item to another budget item.

For instance Cells Q12-42 (budget items) would look at Cells Y12 through Y999999 (Transfer from listed budget) and Z12 through Z999999 (Transfer to listed budget) and then finally look at Cell AA12 through AA999999 to see how much to transfer from one budget item to the other budget item.

In the example, it would transfer $30 from medical massage to entertainment. but it would need to be quite flexible to allow multiple transfers from any budget item to any budget item.

I am willing to provide whole document if needed.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by john franklin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hey John-

Hope you're doing well!  Maybe try using a SUMIF() formula like the below example to solve your issue (See attached workbook for further reference):

TransferBudgetExample.png

Wow, first response! thank you for you help! I had to tweak it just a tinge to get it to work the way I wanted, but its working fabulous.

Only thing I would ask differently, is if there is a way to make it work without having a "beginning balance" and an "ending balance". obviously you can hide the beginning balance, and thats what I've done for the moment. but other than that great help! Thank You!

John-

Glad you were able to resolve your issue.  If those values are hardcoded the only way to do it is to create a helper column like you've done.  If they are feeding from the monthly worksheets with a formula you can just combine the  formulas.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by john franklin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hey John-

Hope you're doing well!  Maybe try using a SUMIF() formula like the below example to solve your issue (See attached workbook for further reference):

TransferBudgetExample.png

View solution in original post