SOLVED

combining cells

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to get a cell that will say, "Summary [Date]" and I want the date to display the last date that the sheet was edited. I've tried to combine a cell that says summary and one that uses the today() function, I've tried to use '="Summary "&TODAY()', and multiple variations of those, and every variation returns the same result, "Summary 43383". Today's actual date is 10/10/2018. In case that gives you a clue as to where the 43383 is coming from. I have no idea. Please help.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Chris Walters (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Chris,

That's since dates in Excel are actually numbers, you have to apply format to them

="Summary " & TEXT(TODAY(),"mm/dd/yyyy")

Thank you Sergei! This is exactly what I was looking for. I also found out I can put my client name first and hit ALT+Enter before the second quotation mark and it will drop the following text to the next line. BONUS POINTS if you can tell me a way to make the client name a different font size ;D

Hi Chris,

After you finish typing your text don't press arrow keys or Enter, press F2 instead - you will enter in cell edit mode. Here select the part of the text you'd like to format and apply desirable text format (for one word you may double click on it to select). Enter after you finished. It will be like

image.png

For the existing texts focus on the cell and F2 or double-click to edit.

Hahaha Your rock Surgei!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Chris Walters (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Chris,

That's since dates in Excel are actually numbers, you have to apply format to them

="Summary " & TEXT(TODAY(),"mm/dd/yyyy")

View solution in original post