can you protect part of a worksheet? [forms / ActiveX / locking query]

Copper Contributor

Hi all

We want to carry out an audit, and it's quite complicated, so I have created an audit form with activeX controls. It's not my area of expertise so it's been somewhat stressful.

The form is composed of free text fields, and checkbox controls. I want to protect / lock / ?? the controls so that the auditor can't accidentally right click and move or edit them. I've tried locking the controls and then protecting the worksheet, but I can't find a way to do it that still allows the auditor to enter text in the free text fields.

Can you protect part of a worksheet?

I've toyed with the idea of splitting the form across two worksheets, and protecting one, but that wouldn't be ideal because of the processes in the background.

Any help gratefully received.

3 Replies

@Josie harral If you use a textbox from the Insert, Shapes drop-down you can uncheck its "Lock Text" property. Protecting the worksheet will prevent moving and sizing of the box, but you can still edit the text inside.

Ok sounds good, thanks!

I've just googled how to populate a cell with the contents of a text box, but I'm only finding the opposite... how you display the contents of a cell in a linked text box.

How do I do... the one I want to do!?

Thanks again.
Ouch, I'm afraid you can't. It is problems like these that make me stay away from any controls when building forms. I prefer to use cells directly, if needed with Data Validation.