automatic e-mail composition

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel spreadsheet containing e-mail addresses. How can I stop my e-mail program (Thunderbird) composing an e-mail when I click on a cell?

12 Replies

Kenneth,

Highlight the cells that contain hyperlinks, then right-click, and select Remove Hyperlink as shown in the below screenshot:

Remove Hyperlinks.png

To prevent that behavior from happening in the future, do the following:

1. Go to Excel Options >> Proofing
  2. Click on the AutoCorrect Options button.
  3. From the AutoCorrect dialog box, select the second tab.
  4. Clear the CheckBox labeled: (Internet and network paths with hyperlinks).
  5. Click OK.

AutoCorrect.png

Thank you for your answer, but they are not hyperlinks, just plain text, and the CheckBox labelled:(Internet and network paths with hyperlinks). is clear.

If so, then something is wrong with the Thunderbird itself!

If that macro-enabled workbook it could be on click macro which opens email client

Macros are disabled.

If I make Windows Mail the default e-mail app the same thing happens

Other words your file is in *.xlsx format?

Yes, that doesn't matter, default email client is triggered by something. Is it possible to receive some sample file?

kindly provide us with some screenshots to figure out what the problem is.

I have found the problem. In some of the cells containing an e-mail address, when the cursor hovers over the cell, a window appears: "mailto:kenneth.rushton2@btinternet.com - Click once to follow. Click and hold to select this cell", although the formula bar shows only the e-mail address as the content of the cell without the 'mailto:'. These were originally hyperlinks. So I shall simply delete them and re-enter the text. I can't send you a screenshot as the file is confidential. Thank you for your help.

I have found the problem. In some of the cells containing an e-mail address, when the cursor hovers over the cell, a window appears: "mailto:kenneth.rushton2@btinternet.com - Click once to follow. Click and hold to select this cell", although the formula bar shows only the e-mail address as the content of the cell without the 'mailto:'. These were originally hyperlinks. So I shall simply delete them and re-enter the text. I can't send you a screenshot as the file is confidential. Thank you for your help.

Kenneth, formula bar doesn't show hyperlink elements like "mailto:" even if actually they exist. All what you need is to remove hyperlinks as Haytham suggested.