Worksheet Protection & External Data Refresh

Copper Contributor

Using Excel 2016.  I have tried to protect individual worksheets within my workbook to prevent external data refresh from updating those particular worksheets while it should be allowing the update on others, but the worksheet protection does nothing, all sheets update regardless.  The protected cells are locked and unable to be selected.  So why are they still updating and how do I stop it?  Many thanks for your assistance!

5 Replies
I guess a better way is to write a bit of VBA that refreshes the connections you want refreshed.

Thank you for the response, but I'm confused.  Shouldn't external updates not happen at all if the worksheet is protected? 

Probably, but as you said that does not work I was suggesting an alternative path :)

LOL, understood.  Thank you for the suggestion, which probably won't work for the more basic users who will be using this particular workbook.  However, I might be able to make it work by changing the workbook to a manual calc.  Extra work for them, but they're causing extra work for me, so I guess we're even.  ;)

I forgot to ask: what kind of "External updates" are you referring to?