Why does a downloaded spreadsheet not automatically calculate?

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel spreadsheet that was created using Office 2016 and the sheet that I created has formulas that reference blank cells. This sheet, which is attached, is set to automatically calculate in the TOTAL COST column (column I) and a TOTAL SUM of all TOTAL COSTS in cell I54. When I created this sheet on my computer, it worked flawlessly; however, when I email it or upload it to our website for potential vendors to download and fill, it does not automatically calculate in any of the locations. My questions are:

1. Why does it work on my desktop and not on other people's systems? and
  2. How do I correct this?

Thanks for the help!

6 Replies

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community, it looks like the calculation settings for your sheet have been changed to manual as a result it will only calculate when you press F10.

Calculation OptionsCalculation Options

If you select formulas from the ribbon then on the right hand side click calculation options you will see its set to manual. Change it to automatic and you should be all set.

Hope this helps. 

In addition, Calculation mode is applied to any workbook opened, not to concrete one. Attached to the post workbook is calculated automatically without any problems.

The question is about stats - if the workbook was distributed to one-two persons who are in same business that only means they use manual mode working with Excel. If dozens of people to whom the workbook was distributed have the same issue that's another story. Low probability all of them are in manual mode by default. At the same time for me it's hard to imagine what could be the reason for such behaviour.

In brief, most probably that's not this concrete workbook issue but setting on users site.

Thanks! and just to add - You could add a macro into the spreadsheet that would force automatic calculation but macro enabled workbooks require user interaction to enable macros and some users may not thank you for overriding their personal settings.

Thanks, Sergei. I checked with a couple of the recipients and they said their Excel settings were set to Automatically Calculate and not Manual. Do you think it could it have something to do with them downloading it from Google Drive?

Thanks, Allan. I checked and it was set on Automatic Calculation. I'm now wondering if it has something to do with Google Drive, which is where we hosted it for them to download.

Chris, I'm not sure. If you could share your file on Google Drive we may test.