Home

Which file is open when return to Excel in Office 2019 Mac

RSP123
Occasional Contributor

My issue is that, when I leave Excel to go to another application and then return to Excel, the last spreadsheet that I was using prior to leaving Excel, is not the file that appears on top.  A little experimentation shows that the file that appears in this case is the 2nd to last file that was open rather than the last file.

I can't find any documentation, but it appears that a checkmark in the list of open files designates the file that is on top, while a dot indicates that the file has unsaved changes.  In the above scenario when I go off to another application and then return, the checkmark is on the last file on top when I leave but is on the 2nd to last file when I return to Excel.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening and how to fix it.  TIA.

1 Reply

I thought I would update this thread with what I think was going on.  It appears that I had some files that were full screen, while the spreadsheet that I had left to go to another application was not.  When I returned from the other application, the full screen file appears rather than the last file in use.  It was simply a coincidence that the full screen file happened to be the second to last file opened, resulting in my incorrect hypothesis.

Related Conversations
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
21 Replies
Stable version of Edge insider browser
HotCakeX in Discussions on
35 Replies
flashing a white screen while open new tab
cntvertex in Discussions on
13 Replies
How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch
chenrylee in Microsoft Teams on