SOLVED

Week Numbers between a Start and End Date

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I dont know if anyone can help!! a concept that sounds simple in my head is just not coming into fruition when im trying to do it in Excel.

I am trying to find a formula that will calculate the week number of a certain date that will fall between a start and date. So for example if my start date is 25/04/2018 and an end date of 20/07/2018 this will be 13 weeks (Monday to Friday)  , but if i want to know what week number the 13th June would fall on is there formula that can do this?

So far i have managed to use a formula where i physically just need to look where the start date falls between a Week start and week end by using the roll back to the previous Monday from the start date but the snag is when I enter a date that falls on a Monday i do not want it to roll back to the previous monday as this Monday would count as week one ?? 

if i am going about this all wrong or if there's an easier way i would be grateful for some advice 

6 Replies
If you want to return the week number of a particular date then use function of WEEKNUM
A1 having the date use the formula below
=WEEKNUM(A1)

Or

=ISOWEEKNUM(A1)

if you are in this system

Hi Jamil 

thank your for your response, will this give me the week number which relates to the year i.e Jan to Dec? 

I am looking for i.e Start Date 18/12/17  End Date 09/03/2018    but 20/02/2018 would be week 11 ?  

best response confirmed by Jamil Mohammad (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Hi Susan,

If you'd like to calculate number of full weeks from Start Date that could be

=INT((<your date> - <Start date>)/7)

Hi@Sergei Baklan 

I've same problem as Susan mentioned, Let's take July month and the Employee started working on Jul1 (monday) and his ending date is 6(saturday) i would get 1 as output. If start date is Jul1 (monday) and end date is July 10 (wednesday) then i should get output as 2.

Another question: irrespective of start date(i.e,  july 1 - July 6) if end date falls before tue (i.e, july 9) i should get output as 1 and so on for the following days.

appreciate your help in finding the solution, thanks in advance.

Vaman21

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Hi Susan,

@Susan Authers 

Here is a complete guide to date math (Including the Weeknumber function) + a Free quick reference card to date Math

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZxeOq-QDk

Hope that helps

Nabil Mourad

This tutorial is a Festival of Date Formulas & Functions! With over 40 examples that will allow you to hold a firm grasp of Date Math. I also included on a separate sheet a full definition of each function with the arguments required to use them. You can Download the Exercise file and Follow along
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jamil Mohammad (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Hi Susan,

View solution in original post