Vlookup referencing second excel file help.

Copper Contributor

i need to vlookup data found in a second excel file - spreadsheete 2. i am struggling to find the syntax to add to the vlookup formula in spreadsheet 1. can you advise?

10 Replies

=VLOOKUP(CC,DD,1,FALSE)

where CC = Value you would like to look up in the current sheet.. eg A4 or B3

DD = the selection you need to make in the second workbook against which you wish to lookup the value. eg.. [Book1]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7

Instead of typing the name of the workbook and sheet simply select the criteria with the mouse.

1 = this is usually the column number of the selection criteria that hosts the value you wish to display in case a match is found, therefore it can be 2, 3.. totally depends upon the selection you make.

False = lookup the exact match

@Chad Briddell wrote:

i need to vlookup data found in a second excel file - spreadsheete 2. i am struggling to find the syntax to add to the vlookup formula in spreadsheet 1. can you advise?

Rohan, thanks. however....oddly...when i have both spreadsheet file 1 and 2 open and i am in file 1 creating the vlookup and i mouse to file 2, the formula does NOT populate with the name of the second file.  i tried to insert the following....but did not work.

=vlookup(C12,[2018-Std-Cost.xlsx]Sheet1!A2:D10,2,false)

Chad, close the second file (or both, when re-open), file path will be added to link automatically.

Sergei - thanks for responding. still no success. 

1 - i closed both files. then opened file 1 and in the cell where i want the value returned via vlookup i have:

'=vlookup(C12,[C:\Chad\Data\2018-Std-Cost.xlsx]Sheet1!A2:E10,5,false)

then, i  removed the " ' " from the front of the formula and i get an error message:  "The syntax of this name isn't correct".

2 - i tried in a new cell to create the vlookup and open the second file during the process of creating the vlookup. Excel errors and states i have entered "too few arguments" and won't let me open the second file.

is there some kind of Excel/Option setting that is off?

That's perhaps you add sheet name manually. It shall be like this

Both files are opened

=VLOOKUP(D13,[Example5.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE)

second file is closed, full link autogenerated

=VLOOKUP(D13,'G:\MyFolder\[Example5.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE)

If the files are in the same directory don't mention the full path

instead of =vlookup(C12,[C:\Chad\Data\2018-Std-Cost.xlsx]Sheet1!A2:E10,5,false)

try =VLOOKUP(C12,[2018StdCost.xlsx]Sheet1!A2:E10,5,FALSE)

Change the file name from 2018-Std-Cost.xlsx to 2018StdCost.xlsx

The '-' in the file name may be causing the problem.

@Chad Briddell wrote:

Sergei - thanks for responding. still no success. 

1 - i closed both files. then opened file 1 and in the cell where i want the value returned via vlookup i have:

'=vlookup(C12,[C:\Chad\Data\2018-Std-Cost.xlsx]Sheet1!A2:E10,5,false)

then, i  removed the " ' " from the front of the formula and i get an error message:  "The syntax of this name isn't correct".

2 - i tried in a new cell to create the vlookup and open the second file during the process of creating the vlookup. Excel errors and states i have entered "too few arguments" and won't let me open the second file.

is there some kind of Excel/Option setting that is off?

Rohan, not necessary to rename the file, something like this

=VLOOKUP(D14,'G:\MyFolder\[Example-5 with space 10a-123.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE)

works

Sure.. but when I worked on the syntax he was using it was the '-'

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Rohan, not necessary to rename the file, something like this

=VLOOKUP(D14,'G:\MyFolder\[Example-5 with space 10a-123.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE)

works

which were erroring out.

thanks sergei

thanks Rohan. i removed the "-" from the second file name. also, instead of manually typing the formula, i had the wizard create it.  while using the wizard, i was not able to open a second file. so i tried again and opened both files and started the wizard. everything worked as expected. i am good to go....i hope!  thank you