Variable Information Display

Copper Contributor

I want a text box or cell to display text specific to the contents of other cells when those cells are selected, but I have no idea how to accomplish it.  For example, cells A1, A2, and A3 can each have any one of 10 different entries (different lists of entries for each cell).  If A1="Level 1" I want a text box or other cell to display the information about what "Level 1" means when A1 is selected.  However, if A2="Orange" and A2 is selected I want the cell or the text box to display the information for what "Orange" means.

Is this possible?  If so, how do I do it?

4 Replies

I may have misunderstood what you need here, but check the attachement!

I don't think I explained myself very well.

What I'm working on is a character sheet for a game (Pathfinder RPG).  Characters will have various abilities.  On previous versions of the sheet, I've used comments to contain descriptive information about the abilities, but users don't like the comments because the comment bubbles block view of the rest of the sheet.

So, if you look at the attachment on tab "Page 2," what I want is this:

• If someone selects cell C2, I'd like the information about "Feat #1" to appear in or near cell BP1.  However, if someone selects cell C4, I'd like the information for "Feat #2" to appear in cell BP1.
  • Basically, I don't want to dedicate a description on a line-per-line basis because it would take up too much space and limit the usability.

I hope that makes more sense, and thanks your response.

Ok now it's very clear. I'm used to that kind of stuff so I agree about comments.

Despite I understand exactly what you need, it's not possible to trigger formulas just by selecting a cell.

Is it possible for you to add a column "i" (info) on the left of the column A and on the left of column W? If so, you can trigger some infos by "selecting" the cell adding "x" (or whatever other character you need). Then, you can add on BP1 a VLOOKUP formula that gives you the detail of the so selected cell.

I made a try... tell me if that would solve your issue!

I figured out there was no way to trigger a formula by just selecting a cell.  I know there's a way to do that (or something similar) using a VB script.  I, however, don't know VB and I haven't been able to find a sample of what I want online copy and/or modify.

If I can't find an answer, your workaround is a good compromise.  Thank you for your help and your example!