Using IF statement in budget

Copper Contributor

2 part question.  

Background.  I'm creating a personal budget (tried a lot of online ones and don't like them).  the left column is day of the month.  the next column is the bill or income by name.  the next column is anticipated, the next column is actual for that month, the next is for the next month and so on.  I've included a sample excel document.  The colors are for ease of understanding and wont be on the final document.

1.  I would like to use an IF statement to create a header (row 3) that shows how much income (and payments row 4), I've made total for the month.  In plain language: if an input in column b is Steve pay, go across to the applicable column pull that number and add it to a total for the cell.  It's a monthly value, so if were in October, it would need to go to column b go down find all the entries that say "Steve Pay" then go over to the column and pull just the "Steve Pay" numbers from October, and add them all up.

2.  I have a few different income sources.  So how could I incorporate 3 (or more) different true statements.  For example, in column b it would state either Steve Pay, Wife pay, Rental income, Steve Job 2 pay.  would this all be in 1 IF statement, or would I use multiple if statements in the same cell?

0 Replies