SOLVED

Using Cell Values to Reference another sheet

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I am an amateur at excel, and it's quite possible that what I'm asking has a simple fix, or no fix at all. 

I am currently making a budget for myself and my wife. Each months respective budget is on its own sheet, and I have a separate stats sheet for calculations - which is what you will see below. 

What I am trying to do is have a running data set for each month's respective spending on different accounts. What you see in the first image below is a formula I am using to input data into the table from different sheets. 

In the second image you will see what I am trying to do, more or less. I want to use the cells in column I to reference their respective sheets - that way I dont have to retype the same formula 12 times. The formula you see in the second image, obviously, doesn't work. It just returns a text string, therefore creating an error. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 3.48.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-03 at 3.50.22 PM.png

2 Replies
best response confirmed by bostonsullivan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

You need the INDIRECT function to do that.

Please try this formula in cell J4 and drag it down.

=SUMIF(INDIRECT(I4&"!$AK$7:$AK$23"),"<>Ending Balance",INDIRECT(I4&"!$AM$7:$AM$23"))

Hope that helps

Thats perfect! thanks so much!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bostonsullivan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

You need the INDIRECT function to do that.

Please try this formula in cell J4 and drag it down.

=SUMIF(INDIRECT(I4&"!$AK$7:$AK$23"),"<>Ending Balance",INDIRECT(I4&"!$AM$7:$AM$23"))

Hope that helps

View solution in original post