SOLVED

Unwanted change of the formula when increasing the table

Copper Contributor

I use the Polish version of Excel 365.
I want to cumulatively calculating the data in the table (Table tool) row by row. So I use the formulas:
in C2: =COUNTBLANK($B$2:$B2)
in C3: =COUNTBLANK($B$2:$B3)
e.t.c.
When I enlarge a table by one or more rows, the formula in the last "old" row changes automatically to the scope of the entire column.
So:
- when I enlarge the table to A1:C4, in cell C3 the formula changes to =COUNTBLANK($B$2:$B4)
- when I enlarge the table to A1:C5, in cell C3 the formula changes to =COUNTBLANK($B$2:$B5)

It looks like Excel's error (365). I have information that the table behaves correctly in XL2007.

Greetings

Artik

(I apologize for my language, but it is as good as Google Translator :) )

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Artik_K (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Artik_K , that's a normal behaviour. Excel remembers what $B3 is in the last row of the table, and when you expand the table it automatically substitutes the reference on the cell in the new last row.

In general with tables it's better to use structured references, in your case like

=COUNTBLANK(INDEX([B],1):[@B])

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

@Artik_K , that's a normal behaviour.

As for me, this is not normal behavior. Excel destroyed my formula. The more so because in XL2007 there was no problem.

However, I really like the solution from INDEX ().

Thank you.

Artik

@Artik_K , yes, I took wrong word. I mean that's by design. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Artik_K (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Artik_K , that's a normal behaviour. Excel remembers what $B3 is in the last row of the table, and when you expand the table it automatically substitutes the reference on the cell in the new last row.

In general with tables it's better to use structured references, in your case like

=COUNTBLANK(INDEX([B],1):[@B])

View solution in original post