Undo Function Does not Completely Undo Remove Duplicates - Mixes Data

Copper Contributor

I frequently use the remove duplicate function to do a quick count of unique numbers, and to make sure all expected numbers are present.  I then undo the remove duplicates to put the data back where was.  This has always worked in the past, but today after I hit undo, my rows are mixed.  I have tried restarting everything with no luck. 

Photo 1 shows after 

Photo 2 shows after undone - rows are swapped; they were in location order before

Photo 3 shows after undone if I just removed duplicates on a column.  This could be disastrous as it completely mixes the data.

I do not know if something inadvertently got changed, but any input would be appreciated.  I use this a lot, and I worry my data will get jumbled. 

Thank you!

4 Replies

Hi Drew,

I can't reproduce that, I'm on build 1805.9330.2087. Could you please clarify which Excel do you have and which exactly column(s) do you use to remove duplicates.

Hi Sergei,

I am currently on the same build.  I can understand the difficulty duplicating it as I have never had this problem until yesterday.

The first picture used the entire worksheet as its selection, but column Q was what was chosen to remove duplicate values.

In the 3rd picture, only column Q was selected, and only duplicates from that column were removed.

I have attached what the data looked like before removing any duplicates.

Thank you for taking your time to look at this!  I do not know what could have changed to cause this.  I am worried my data will end up getting mixed around, and I am just drawing a blank besides taking extra steps and time.  

Hi Drew,

Thank you for the update, now I have the same. Before removing

image.png

after it

image.png

and Undo

image.png

Picture will be slightly different if you have not clean cell below the range (e.g. you had some data and after that delete it), but that doesn't matter - Undo works incorrectly.

Not sure what happens, will try to dig. So far the workaround could be using advanced filter to copy unique records:

image.png

Result is

image.png

Hi Sergei,

This makes me feel a little betting knowing it was able to be reproduced.  I appreciate the work around idea.  This sure makes me feel more comfortable about my data not getting mixed up.

Thank you,

Drew