Unable to deselect in excel

Copper Contributor
Yesterday when I selected multiple cells in a Microsoft Excel 2016 worksheet, I could hold CTRL key and deselect the cells I wanted removed. But for some reason TODAY when I hold down Ctrl and then click cells in order to remove them from the selection, the cell shading becomes darker, and the cells are not unselected. Additionally, the cell shading continues to darken if you repeatedly click the cells. I’ve been using the ctrl key to deselect cells easily hundreds of times a day over the last 2 months, it’s fundamental to my use of excel. I have no idea why all of the sudden I am unable to deselect using ctrl, but I could really use some help. I’ve spent a majority of my day trying to solve this, and I can’t find any solutions. In fact the Microsoft support website says “the behavior is by design,” and their solution is to just redo your selection! Ugghhh!
How can I go from deselecting perfectly yesterday to double selecting today!?
43 Replies

I am currently having this issue. I have the same version of Excel on two different laptops. On one the deselect option works, the other laptop however does not work

Are you logged into Office with an Office 365 account on both devices? If so can you please sent a frown (click on file, feedback, I don't like something). Please mention my name in the text (so I can search for it). This will help us troubleshoot any possible issues.

Hello,

Are there users with the latest updates for whom the deselect works?

Thank you.

Hi,

I recently installed the latest updates...

Still no deselection feature available.

Version 1812 Build 11126.20266 Click&Run, monthly channel

Is there anybody who can use the feature successfully?

When will it be available to Excel 2016 users again?

I have no Office 360 but Professional Plus...

Sorry to hear your having problems with this feature. 

It is fully enabled for all subscription users and Office 2019 perpetual. 

Office Pro Plus is part of Office 365, this is why your able to be on the monthly channel. 

Your build should have this feature enabled. Can you DM me a screenshot of the account settings page in Excel? This will help me try and troubleshoot what is possible going on. 

Thanks,

Olaf

Would appreciate if you can comment/analyze my same issue.

When is this going to be resolved for Office 2016? 

I just downloaded the last update a minute ago and I am still not able to deselect in Excel. Unacceptable!  

I generally like Excel, but to have a basic function disappear overnight and still not be restored months later.... no. Plus, now I'm in fear of ever updating again, because... who knows what the next update will break? 

I'm *thisclose* to switching to LibreOffice and never buying any version of MS Office again, and that option is looking better and better all the time... 

Sorry for all the confusion around this. 

The Deselect feature is an Office 365 (Home, Business, ….) and Office 2019 feature. 

This means it does not work in Office 2016. We had a bug where it was turned on for a very short time by mistake in Office 2016. We have fixed this bug, this happend at the same time we also had to disable the feature for a month in Office 365. After we fixed all open issues we turned it back on for Office 365. 

The deselect feature never existed in Office 2016 (or any other older version). We created this feature in late 2017.

I hope this answers your question. 

Olaf

@Olaf Hubel I have to say ... brilliant answer. Just exquisite.

A bug that uncovered a feature.

Next time some will tell us that a computer could run twice as fast if we installed windows 10 pro instead of home.

@Olaf Hubel I'm an Office365 Proplus subscriber - I will cannot deselect. Why?

@Olaf Hubel

I have Office Professional Plus 2016 and have been using that feature for several months now.  Yesterday when I tried to use it, it did not work.

Whether it is intentionally added to Office 2016, why would you disable it?  This looks like just another in a long line of examples in which the people working for Microsoft don't give a crap about the people who buy their products.

@Olaf Hubel Any further word on this? The feature is still disabled for me.

@NickADD& @Olaf Hubel I am still disable too nothing new.

Trying to find work arounds for times when I used to use it but that is not the best solution... right now

I am going to try to reach out to my IT Person to see if I could just uninstall and reinstall the program while I am on PTO so my work is not delayed

This is a feature that's always been apart of Excel.

They disabled it in 2016, making it just darken the cell selection until it turns completely black, which has no useful functionality whatsoever, just to do something with the ctrl+click function they purposely removed.

It was removed to force people to downgrade from 2016 professional to the Office 365 spyware which collects your data and uploads everything to their servers, or else force you to pay for Office 2019 professional, which has the same Office365 functionality & Licensing permissions built in.

Its highly unscrupulous and dishonest, but is most definitely par for the course for Microsoft since their Windows 10 NSAshareware.

It's akin to making your right mouse button put a big red blob on your document unless you pay Microsoft more money to remove it.

On the Bright side, both Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are both developing rather nicely, and have become quite robust & highly viable Microsoft product replacements.

If you are using Office365, you may as well just switch over to GoogleOffice at this point, at least they're transparent with their data & intellectual property theft.

Is it more likely that Microsoft has just run out of ideas to entice you to upgrade to 2019, so they just break basic existing functionality?

Or is it more likely that they are as desperate for everyone to get on Office365 as they are to get everyone on Windows10, and NEED you off of the legacy ware because they need your information, because they've become mere mass data-collection spyware jointly operated with the NSA.

They've already done with Windows 10 what Apple did long ago for the NSA with their OS's. They've also long been attempting to turn to a Google model of selling User Psychographic data for profits.

Google Drive is set up with similar carefully programmed shenanigans which simply expose all your data to nearly anyone, which makes it ok for them to use it themselves and give the NSA backdoors to your information as well. 

and getting you on Office365 is as integral to their schemes as getting you on Windows10 was. 

I was on the phone with Microsoft Support for 3 straight weeks, most of the day, most of the week, trying to get them to stop secretly upgrading my Office 2019 Professional Plus license to a join Office 365 one they didn't think I'd notice. After 3 weeks and 20 different scorched earth fresh installs, and after reaching the very top echelon of the Tech Support elite levels that they won't even admit exists, and after those elite top techs started poking around and asking questions across teams, I was immediately dropped without a word. And I posed this scenario to them as well. For sure this is exactly what is happening. 

@null nullThis has been resolved by updating to the most recent version of Office 365

@JHoward

no, it hasn't.

its "resolved" if you downgrade to the Office 365 spyware nsa pos. 

Its simple blackmail, in an attempt to force everyone onto 365 or to pay for a full 2019, just like they've been doing with Win10. Its their modus operandi, to get everyone off of programs which don't own and steal your data and come preloaded with NSA Backdoors & methods for collecting all of your work.

This is an Office16pro issue, in no way has this been resolved, whatsoever. 

@TenzenAll I did was open Excel > File > Account > Office Updates

That corrected my problem I forgot what I had before but I am now using 16.0.11929.20298 and my deselect tool is operating as normal.

May not work for everyone but I did not pay for anything I just clicked Office updates at it worked.

@Tenzen 

I totally agree with you! It's an Office2016Pro issue and a Microsoft issue...

They simply disabled the feature to get the users to apply for office365 or an upgrade to 2019.

Both options are not an alternative for me!

They should simply enable the feature again and everything is fine!

But they do NOT want to do this!

Shame on you Microsoft. No one would have been complaining if the feature would never have been available. But it was, although it was an accident!

@MichaelStrack I can no longer deselect in Excel 2013.  Seems like it just happened recently.  I'm asking my peers to see if they recall when/or if it's happening to them.

This is not a resolution.