Unable to deselect in excel

Copper Contributor
Yesterday when I selected multiple cells in a Microsoft Excel 2016 worksheet, I could hold CTRL key and deselect the cells I wanted removed. But for some reason TODAY when I hold down Ctrl and then click cells in order to remove them from the selection, the cell shading becomes darker, and the cells are not unselected. Additionally, the cell shading continues to darken if you repeatedly click the cells. I’ve been using the ctrl key to deselect cells easily hundreds of times a day over the last 2 months, it’s fundamental to my use of excel. I have no idea why all of the sudden I am unable to deselect using ctrl, but I could really use some help. I’ve spent a majority of my day trying to solve this, and I can’t find any solutions. In fact the Microsoft support website says “the behavior is by design,” and their solution is to just redo your selection! Ugghhh!
How can I go from deselecting perfectly yesterday to double selecting today!?
43 Replies

Perhaps that's related to the bug @Olaf Hubel mentioned more close to the bottom of discussion here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/How-to-deselect-cells-from-selected-ranges-in-Exce...

By the way, I checked and have same behaviour as you are

Yes, looks like a bug

- doesn't work on the build 1806.10228.20062

- no problems on 1807.10308.20006

How to resolve it? Can procedure available?

If I'm correct about the bug that's only to wait another build with the fix. Shift+F8 also doesn't work.

We have found an issue with the deselect feature and decided to temporarily disable it. As soon as the fix has been pushed out to all users we will enable the feature again. This should be in the next couple of weeks. 

Thanks

Olaf

Olaf,

Please don't abandon this add in, as it really saves me time. 

Thanks, we love it too. It will come back very shortly.
Olaf,

When is this functionality returning? I am currently on version 1805. Prior to update deselect was working properly. Any insight into when this may return it is very detrimental to our work practices and efficiency.

Should be back in couple of weeks. It is not related to your update, we turned it off for all build numbers. 

Except Insider Fast i guess

Correct, we already pushed the fix there

@Olaf Hubelany ETA on the fix?

The fix is rolling out and many of you should already have the fix. 

It takes some time to roll out to everybody. But if it is not working for you now it should soon. 

@Olaf HubelI have an O365 Enterprise subscription currently running Version 1805 (Monthly Channel) and I'm anxiously awaiting this fix. Should I expect to notice when this fix has taken effect? For example, will it be part of an update that I have to install or perhaps a less obvious method?

Hi!

We had a user mention this bug today -- but we have Office Professional 2016 (VLSC version) and not the O365 version.

Is this fix coming out in September's Patch Tuesday releases?  Or was this supposed to be in the August updates?

Thanks!

So, why isn't this fixed yet.  I was able to use it Friday, but today I am not. 

I just ran an update and still nothing.  Please....... I need this feature. 

Doesnt work for me too on my computer at work. It was working last week. Really disturbing...

I am in the same boat, this feature worked last week and not this week?  I'm confused how different users have this problem starting at different times (for some people this started much earlier than September)

Hello,

Any chance that it will get fixed?

Why do big companies keep trying to fix what it is not broken?