=UPPER(A1)

Copper Contributor

OK, I'm really bad at excel, so excuse me please, but I've created a cell that uses the =UPPER(A1) formula.

Worked great, but now I want to copy that text to A1. but it breaks the reference. Is there a way to flatten a cell so that it is no longer associated with its formula?

7 Replies

@NEDNARB 

You may copy the cell and paste into another one as value. Check the option in right click menu or in Paste menu on ribbon.

@NEDNARB 

To do that, follow these steps...

1. Select the formula cell/cells.
  2. Right click on one of the selected cells and choose Copy or press Ctrl+C to copy the selection.
  3. Right click in A1 and choose paste icon with 123 over it i.e. paste as Values. Or select the cell A1 and press the keys Alt,E,S,V and hit Enter.

Upper.gif

@NEDNARB 

To generalise a bit. To copy selected cell/range

with Ribbon

-by mouse: click Copy button

- by keyboard: press sequentially Alt,H,C,C

with context menu

-by mouse: right click and in appeared menu click Copy button

- by keyboard: press context menu button (near the right Ctrl on keyboard), navigate by Arrow Down to Copy icon, Enter

with keyboard shortcut

- Ctrl+C; or

- Ctrl+Ins

(with keyboard shortcuts keep pressed first button and release it after all next buttons were pressed sequentially)

To past value into target cell/range

with Ribbon

-by mouse: expand menu under Paste button and click on 123 icon; or

expand menu under Paste button, click on Paste Special, select Values, click Ok

- by keyboard: press sequentially Alt,H,V,V

with context menu

-by mouse: right click and in appeared menu click on on 123 icon

- by keyboard: press context menu button , navigate on 123 icon by Arrow Down, Arrow Right, Enter

with keyboard shortcut

- Ctrl+V or Shift+Ins, press Ctrl to expand Quick access menu, navigate to 123 icon by Arrow Down, Enter

One more option is to add Copy and Paste Values icons to Quick Access Toolbar

image.png

and do operations with one click on them; or by keyboard Alt,N where N sequential position number of the icon in toolbar. I my case to paste values is Alt,9

Forgot something?

Hello @NEDNARB,

@Sergei Baklan and @Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer both offered great solutions.

Here is the shortcut I like to use when pasting as values:

1. Ctrl+C      -  (Copy cell)

2. Ctrl+V      -  (Paste cell)

3. Ctrl      -  (Paste options)

4. V      -  (Values)

I have found that this method is quick and easy to remember.

@PReagan 

Approximately the same, but I never can find C and V without moving focus on keyboard.

Thus

Ctrl+Ins

Shift+Ins

Ctrl

Down

Down

Enter

Above buttons are pressed practically automatically with some help of peripheral vision since they are practically isolated. If we speak about full scale keyboard.

I did this but all I can see is the formula...what am I screwing up?

Hello @Silvy23,

Be sure that you have turned off "Show Formulas" located in the Formula Tab.

PReagan_0-1585313620217.png

Alternatively, you may use the shortcut Ctrl + ` (not to be confused with Ctrl + ').