UK Date format

Copper Contributor

I am new here and will appreciate some help with Excel Online

I wish to format my dates in a single column as dd/mm/yy for UK format. My Control Panel options are set to locale of English (United Kingdom).

Ideally I would like to be able to type 11/04 into a cell which should appear as 11/04/19 but it instead appears as 04/11/19 despite the format being set correctly. This is obviously frustrating.

Looking at the attached screenshot, the first few dates in the column are set to text format because I was experimenting. The next few are formatted as short date UK.

Thank you!

9 Replies

@Michael188 , yes, as Jan Karel answered you shall to define UK locale for your OneDrive, not for PC. Settings are different depends on you use OneDrive Personal or Business one.

@Sergei Baklan 

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Thank you. I have asked my internal IT support to update that option within OneDrive (which is currently not a valid locale) and I will respond back later when it has been done.

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi Sergei

In my hunt for an answer re an almost identical issue, I have seen your name pop up several times providing a successful solution, but i still can't get this to work.

My issue:

• I have an office 365 business subscription.  I normally open the spreadsheet on my desktop and all is well (UK date format works perfectly).  However, if I (or four other UK users) access it online:
    • Date format appears:
      • correctly (as UK date format) in cell
      • incorrectly (as US date format) in Formula Bar  
    • Typing:
      • 1/2 in a cell (i.e. 1st Feb UK), generates 2/1 in the cell (i.e. 2nd Jan UK). 
      • 31/10 in a cell is not recognised as a date

So far:

• I've set to English (UK)/(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon where possible:
    • Control Panel, Region 
    • One Drive, Regional Settings
    • Microsoft 365 admin center, settings
    • Excel - Cell Number Format
  • I've also tried using custom dates in Excel desktop to no avail

Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers 

Helen

What is your browser set to?

Hi @Jan Karel Pieterse 

I'm using Chrome and its set to: 
Language: english (UK)
Region: United Kingdom

@helen42 

And the same is for OneDrive setting?

image.png

Time zone is not critical from this point of view.

Here is what I have with above OneDrive for Business settings

image.png

and two digits date 2/1

image.png

IMHO, itself browser settings and client Windows settings shall not affect.

@Sergei Baklan 

Yip, ONEDRIVE:

clipboard_image_0.png

I've also set Sharepoint and MS Teams to UK.

EXCEL ONLINE :(

clipboard_image_1.png

EXCEL DESKTOP :)

clipboard_image_2.png

@helen42 

To be sure - your file is on OneDrive or on Sharepoint?