Threaded comments

Copper Contributor

I have an iPad running Excel 2.21 and an iMac running Excel 16.16.6, this weekend after updating to 2.21, when I put a new comment or added to a comment in a cell in Excel 2.21 on my iPad, when I send the updated workbook to my iMac, I get a message that says: 

-------

[Threaded comment]

Your version of Excel allows you to read this threaded comment; however, any edits to it will get removed if the file is opened in a newer version of Excel. Learn more: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=870924

-------

Why is this happening?  How do i fix it I don't want to lose a my comments nor do I want to have to copy and paste all comments each time i switch between my iPad and iMac.  How do I rectify this issue.

Thank in advance for your help

Michael

10 Replies

Hello,

the support article says that the new threaded comments are available for Excel 2016 for Mac. 

If you get the message that means that your Mac installation may not have received the latest updates. Try to update your Mac Excel to the most recent version. 

When I click on about Excel it says I am running 16.16.6; however, I used "Microsoft_Outlook_16.17.18090901_Updater.pkg", which I assume means I should be on excel 16.17.x, I have tried to reinstall three times, still 16.16.6.  Am I using the most current version?

According to this page you are using the most current version.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-notes-office-2016-mac

I'll reach out to Microsoft to find out more.

Hello,

it seems that Threaded comments are only available in Office 365 subscriptions, not the boxed licenses. 

Excel for iPad features may differ from what is available on your Excel for Mac version.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Ok, won't shot the messenger, understand like you have been messenger before......

so will i lose my comments is my biggest issue.? I use Excel for my work and it has two years of comments that now all seem to be in danger.  Can I go back in versions on my iPad to fix the issue?

Since we use the comments to a cell in Excel to documents initial information and updated information, is it NOT used as a comment / Reply scenario like when sending out information for comments.  

So I really need an answer to the following questions:

given that the Excel (ver 2.21) on my iPad has "365" type comments/replies vis-a-vi my iMac running Excel 16.16.6 which only has comments like the prior version of Excel on my iPad had.  So my question is "under what conditions will I loose the comments created after the iPad update?  

"Is there a way to rollback Excel on the iPad so I don't have my comments lost?"

"is there a workaround"?

Need to know what will happen in the future

thanks in advance for your help 

Michael

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

Can you assist? I'm getting the error "Your version of Excel allows you to read this threaded comment; however, any edits to it will get removed if the file is opened in a newer version of Excel." but I pay the yearly subscription and everything is up to date...

@Kerry9753 

Such message appears if open file in older version of Excel on on another platform (Google Sheets, ubuntu, etc).

image.png

If file was opened in previous version, e.g. in Excel 2016, and open it again, such message shall disappear. At least, as I remember, it was before, didn't test now. If open in Excel after Goggle Sheet message is kept and comments are broken.

image.png

Not sure if other reasons exist.

@Sergei Baklan,

This message appears on the desktop version on my laptop, the web version and even on the cloud version on my phone. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that proved futile. The message in your second image still appears.

@Kerry9753 

Yes, this is on any. It appears if you open the file on platform which doesn't support comments and after that open again on version which supports. Actually the file is broken now.

Similar issue is discussed here https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/threaded-comment-errors.1191639/