Threaded comments instead of Notes

Copper Contributor

I have the last updated Excel Version 1901 (Built 11231.20130)
Since today I don't have possibility to create a Note, only Threaded comments.
here it says I can get back to old version of Notes https://support.office.com/en-us/article/converting-to-threaded-comments-f982427a-8100-496a-8eaa-b65...
But I can't! Only treated comments are available, so it should be a mistake, isn't it?
Also the problem is that I can't change all my Notes created before, I can't edit them only Delete is possible.

15 Replies

That means you don't have that icon, correct?

image.png

Just after reloading finally Notes go after Comments in my Excel files. 
So the problem is solved for the moment. 
During the day Notes weren't available

Strange. Anyway, so far so good.

Same problem here.  No "notes" commands on the right-click menu nor on the ribbon.

MS:  please fix this.  You have wiped out a ton of legacy data.

So, you see New Comment only or which menu items are visible? And if you add Comment is it threaded?

image.png

I also am not able to add to my notes.  This is very frustrating.  There is no 'new note' or 'notes' when I right click and there is not a 'notes' button under 'review'.  Please fix this.  

I have the same problem. Notes are not in any menus, and not in the right-click pull down. However, I can add or edit using "Shift-F2"!! It seems the function is there, but just missing from all menus. "Comments" are there, but not "Notes". I am using Shift-F2 for now but VERY frustrated I can't get it in my pull-down menu or the ribbon at all!

Notes are not in pull-down menu of the comments. That is fully separated tab Notes on the ribbon under Review menu.

The ribbon Notes commands only view existing notes, not add or edit notes.

If you stay on the cell with existing note it'll be Edit, if on any other it'll be Add, isn't it?

image.png

It appears that since yesterday, MS has restored the Notes functions. There was even a “new feature” explainer that popped up at the Review tab discussing the “new” comments and the old ones now called Notes. Thank you MS. 

No. Am I not being clear? When I select a cell and right click, there is no longer any "Notes" options, only "Comments". When I open the ribbon, under "Review" I have several "Comments" options, but no "Notes" options at all. I tried to add "Notes" commands to the ribbon, but when selecting "Customize Ribbon" there are no "Notes" commands in the list, (even when selecting "All Commands"). So... the NOTES functionality is still available with "Shift-F2", but not in any menus or right clicking on a cell, and can't be added to the ribbon. Does that help?

OK, I just closed Excel and reopened it and Notes are back!! Must have just happened. Thanks for the help. I didn't get a new features notice when I opened it.

@Sergei Baklan My users and I are having this same issue. i read through the entire thread here, and I don't see any option to create "notes" there is no separate section in the ribbon, no Notes at  all. Evidently some users have had this available, however I don't understand why, as all users have installs directly from the MS Office 365 portal, All are updated to latest version. 

This is very frustrating. 

Mark

Hi Mark,

That build was in Sep previos year

image.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/monthly-channel-2018

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-new-in-office-365-95c8d81d-08ba-42c1-914f-bca4603e14...,

current one is 1903.

Notes were added later, don't remember when exactly.

The message "This product will not be updated" means updates are disabled.