Table tools missing

Copper Contributor

I have excel 2013. I am trying to split cells in a formatted table. I looked it up on the help website and they said to go to the Table Layout tab and the function is on that tab. This table Layout tab is not there. I only have a Table tools Design tab in my version. Is there a way to get this tab or is there another way to split cells in a formatted table? I cannot use the merge cells button when in a formatted table, so that does not work either. Any help would be most appreciated! 

5 Replies
Can you not take it out of the "formatted table" status to make the change, and then restore that status?
No I cannot. I tried that and it reverted back to non-merged cells when I put it back in table format.
I can see what that would happen with merged cells, especially if they were the exception (if the other cells in those columns remained distinct).....
And the same for splitting cells only in selected rows.
If that's what you're trying to do, you're basically going against the very concept of the formatted table, in ways that would render it incapable of offering the advantages of Tables.

@Liz5413 

From my memory Table Layout tab was removed from user interface starting from Excel 2013. Table Tools is also disappeared in modern interface, there is only Table Design now.

And within the Table you can't merge/unmerge cells.

Ok. Thank you! I guess I will just do it another way then.