Swapping x-y axes in scatter plots with 20 series

Copper Contributor

Dear Community,

I want to swap the x and y axes for dozens of scatter plots each with about 20 series.  A simple default rendition looks like this with the y values in the table displayed horizontally in the chart (FIGURE 1):

Another default chart example appears here (y values 0-2000 displayed horizontally) (FIGURE 2):

What I want is something like this (y values 0-2000 displayed vertically)(Figure 3):

If I open the dialog box of the plot and edit the series, so that the x becomes y and y becomes x, (1) it is laborious for several series, (2) the box says “The data range is too complex to be displayed.  If a new series is selected, it will replace all the series in the series panel.”, and (3) the blue and purple highlight boxes in the corresponding table are swapped to new positions, which makes sense, but disallows the user from adding new series by dragging the corner handle to include the new series columns because only the last series in the stretched purple box is included in the plot, thereby forcing the user to add additional series one by one with the dialog box.  Pictures of (2) (FIGURE 4)and (3) (FIGURE 5) appear below. 

Is excel the best for this, or is there some other graphing program?  I have tried 2010, 2013, 2016, and Excel Online, and as far as I can tell, all have this shortcoming.  How serious is (2)?  With a data points and one series, I can confirm whether the chart accurately represents the table, but with many series and rows of data, it becomes impossible.  Clearly the chart is compromised because the user can no long click on the chart to reveal the purple and blue highlight boxes in the table; the user must select one series in the chart to reveal the highlight boxes for that series only. Regarding (3), how can I swap all the axes at once, instead of one by one, and how can I add more series by dragging the highlight boxes, instead of adding each series one by one?

Thank you,

Ralph

2 Replies

@Ralph Puchalski 

I assume you are having problems getting images to display?  The snipping tool and linking to capture.jpg is one way.

I think it is fairly normal for scatter charts to have multiple series that share a common x-axis.  That is lost if you transpose the axes but you should still be able to edit the series, inserting new series based upon their individual x- and y-series.