Home

Sorting with a Custom List Bug

Chazzs
New Contributor

I need to sort grades in order, e.g., A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, etc.

Normal sort places has the order B, B-, B+, and using the custom list with the grades in perfect order results in, A-, B+, B-, C+,C-, A, B, C, D, F.  It somehow places all +/- grades first and then the others.

Is there any workaround?  I would expect a custom list to dictate the order of sorting.

I'm using Excel for Mac 2011.

Thanks,

Chazzs

4 Replies

@Chazzs , on Windows it sorts correctly if add custom list from from File->Options->Advanced (imported from column E here)

image.png

Perhaps something similar for Mac, not sure

Highlighted

@Sergei Baklan 

Thanks Sergei.  I did a little more investigating.  When I TYPE in random grades and sort with a custom list it's correct, but when I copy and past a list of grades off of a website the sorting is incorrect.  Something is being copied from the webpage that is confusing the sorting.  I'll see if I can save it as a text file and then try a new sort.  Interesting.

Chazzs

SOLVED!!!!!

When a table is copied from a webpage it needs to be Paste Special as Unicode Text.  This strips whatever malicious formatting is hiding in each cell, and  now can be sorted correctly with a custom list. Whew.

Chazzs

@Chazzs , yes, when you just copy/paste from web, quite often you copy with your data invisible characters from HTML code which you shall to remove after that.

Anyway, so far so good.

Related Conversations
Stable version of Edge insider browser
HotCakeX in Discussions on
35 Replies
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
30 Replies
Security Community Webinars
Valon_Kolica in Security, Privacy & Compliance on
9 Replies
How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch