Sorting data

Copper Contributor

Hello All. I seem to be having an issue in which I am unable to sort data by date in Excel on Microsoft 365. I select the range, all columns except two are formatted in date format, and yet when I select all the data I want to sort, I can only do so by A-Z or Z-A. Any help would be appreciated. I have only just started having this problem. The spreadsheet worked fine previously.

4 Replies

Hi Ste,

It's not clear what is the issue. A-Z or Z-A only means ascending or descending order. If that's about multi-level sorting when Data->Sort.

OK, I have attached the file. As you will see, there are several columns for different criteria. I want to sort the data by column O, which is the 'release date' column. I don't want to order them by A-Z or Z-A, I want them to sort by date order, as per the column. Previously I had an option to sort by ascending or descending date order in the data>sort option. Now that option isn't even present, and clicking A-Z/Z-A certainly does not put them in ascending or descending order either. It just mixes them up.

I had separated the date with periods, not slashes. Sorted now. Thank you!

I see, you had dates as text