Selecting specific info from a table

Copper Contributor

I am new to Excel. I have taken a class, but I still feel so new at implementing what I've learned. My question seems so simple, but I am having a hard time trying to figure it out, I'd appreciate any help.

I have a table of contractors and their order information in rows. How can I pull out a narrowed list of individual contractors and all of their order information (multiple columns of info)? I have seen how this can be done in Access and Google Sheets with a Query function. How do I do it in Excel?

3 Replies

@DarylinJ 

There are multiple ways to achieve that and it depends on you that which method you are comfortable with.

1) You can have a dropdown list of all the Contractors in a Cell on another worksheet, place the header of all the columns of your data in an empty row and then use an Array Formula Index/Small to pull all the related data for the contractor you selected in the dropdown.

2) You can use Advanced Filter to either copy the data related to a specific contractor to another location or filter the data in place.

3) If your data is formatted as an Excel Table, you can insert a Slicer based on the Contractor field and if you select a contractor from the Slicer, the table will display the data related to the selected contractor in the Slicer.

I used the Advanced Filter and it worked great.

Because I'm a newbie, I did need to click on the help icon in the Advanced Filter dialog box and it walked me through the process easily. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! 

@DarylinJ 

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

You may close your question now after accepting my post as an answer if it was helpful to resolve your issue.