SOLVED

Remove link

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

In a Excel book, I have a not removable link to a not exsisting xlsm file. I tried to remove it with "Break Link", but it doesn't work.

Some suggestions?

Thnx!

12 Replies

Hi Wouter,

• Place the cursor on the cell that has the link.
  • Press F9 key
  • Press Enter key

Hope that helps..

Hi Balakrisna,

That's part of the problem, I think. There are no cells links to this external file.

When I start a search with ".xl", it gives no result.

best response confirmed by wouter.scheerlinck (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Wouter,

Links could be in many places - named ranges, data validation, macros, conditional formatting rules. There are some third party utilities to find links. Never used them, thus can't recommend, google will help, for example https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/953-excel-list-all-links.html.

If you have Inquire in your veriosn of Excel you may start from it to analyse workbook.

Hi Wouter,

Can you try recalculating the entire workbook using the key combination "CTRL + SHIFT + F9" and then check to see if the link still shows up in the "Edit Links" dialogue.

Thanks,

Balakrishna

Hi Sergei,

After clear all conditional formating in all sheets, save as and reopen, the link was gone!

Thnx!

Hi Wouter,

So far so good. Just in case for future - you may find the broken link in unziped Excel file (add .zip extension and unzip like archive), depends on in which XML file the link is and what is about you may have a guess where is that link in Excel file.

Hey Sergei,

Indeed, I find the linked file name in one of the unzipped files, but can I trace the cell with it?

Hi Wouter,

Nope, i'm not so familiar with Excel XML schema, sorry

I wouter, I can't find the cell with the link, any idea how I find it please?

Thanks Sergei for leading me right! I found my links in the named ranges.

I am having the same issue and can't locate the link in the workbook anywhere. It's not showing in Name Manager and when I try to break the link it doesn't work. @Deleted 

@Arielle_B 

Try the below:
1. Place the cursor on the cell that has the link. Press F9 key. Press Enter key

2.  Search in Formulas for ".xl" or "["

3. Check in Name Manager. This anyhow you confirmed.

4. check the above in any Hidden and VeryHidden worksheets.

5. Check Cells having Conditional Formatting

6. Check Cells having Data Validation
7. Change file extension to .zip. Extract the zip. Search for reference in .xml files...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….....……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………......……………………………………………………………………………………………….....……...…...…………...………………………………...……...…………............………………...………...…......……………...…...…………………………...…………...……...………...…...….............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by wouter.scheerlinck (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Wouter,

Links could be in many places - named ranges, data validation, macros, conditional formatting rules. There are some third party utilities to find links. Never used them, thus can't recommend, google will help, for example https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/953-excel-list-all-links.html.

If you have Inquire in your veriosn of Excel you may start from it to analyse workbook.

View solution in original post