SOLVED

Problem using & symbol in conditional formatting with a formula

Copper Contributor

I have conditional formatting with a formula working for strings of text no problem. eg =$b2="Success"  but when I use in the quotes a & character it does not work for example =$b2="Success & Fail"  I assume it objects to the & in the quotes but in this case & is just another  character in the string. Can anyone help please

6 Replies
best response confirmed by john legge (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi John,

It works if you use as vertical quotation mark symbol CHAR(34), not soft curve quotation mark (or how it called in English), CHAR(147)

image.png

Thanks Sergei. I am sorry but where is the vertical quotation symbol on a keyboard.  I assume the soft curve is above number 2 but that is not correct in this case?

John, you may copy your formula without "=" to the cell and check symbols like this

image.png

Another reason could be if the range to which you applied the rule starts not from B2, but from another cell

image.png

John,

I copied and pasted the example you provided, and it works fine for me, as long as cell B2 is exactly Success & Fail

Than

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Hi John,

It works if you use as vertical quotation mark symbol CHAR(34), not soft curve quotation mark (or how it called in English), CHAR(147)

image.png

ks All good now

John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by john legge (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi John,

image.png

View solution in original post