Power Query freezes in Excel

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm having issues editing queries in Excel.

Whenever I enter a Power Query window, the window opens but shows no data and all excel sheets freezes. I can highlight the tools but they do not react when I try to click them. Nor can I close the Power Query window. The only way I manage to close excel is by forcing it through task manager in windows.

I believe the problem started when I updated excel from verision 1902 to 1907. I have reinstalled office and I am now running version 1908, but the problem is still present. I have tried to access power query in multiple workbooks, but with no success.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this would be very welcome.

Thank you for your time!

5 Replies

@ire123 has this been resolved for you? I've been experiencing this for a while and just now trying to look into it...

@paulread820I have the same issue and has been a problem for a few weeks.  I am frozen right now when trying to split a column by delimeter.

@paulread820 

Ended up asking IT to reset my outlook version back to 1902. It has worked since, although I am today back on version 1908 today.

@ire123I think I have found a solution.  My Power Query Cache had exceeded the maximum allowed (I was at 6k vs the 4k max).  Not sure how that can happen.  I have cleared the cache and so far the issue has not recurred (I have not though been using Power Query much since then).

@Mark Woollgar 

Thank you. This helped me after spending 90 minutes and multiple reboots.

I cleared the PQ cache. That did not work. So then I lowered my cache ceiling from 9000 to 4000.

That worked.

Strangely  went back and put my ceiling back at 9000 and PQ continued playing nicely.

Again, THANK YOU!

Jase