Power Pivot in Excel 2019 - From other Sources button wont work

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

I have recently upgrade my Microsoft Office to version 2019. I have no idea why the "From other sources" button in the Data Model window jus wont work. I tried repairing it locally, repair online. Nothing, I hit the button multiple times, it does not respond at all. But the rest of the button like "Existing Connection", "From Database" all working fine. Please help, is anyone facing the same problem as well?

32 Replies

Hi. I have exactly the same problem. I'm using Excel 2016. I'm on the Office 365 monthly update channel. I think it broke with the latest update that I installed last week. I installed it on 2 computers and both are broken.

What sort of data are you trying to import? If it is a text or CSV file, try using Data > Text/CSV. Make sure you click the drop-down arrow next to Load and select Load To. Then choose Connection Only and make sure you tick the Add to Data Model checkbox.

This seems to be Microsoft's preferred way of importing data (maybe they broke the button on purpose)

Hope this helps

Mike Thomas

http://theexceltrainer.co.uk

Hi there,

I am experiencing this exact same problem. All of the buttons in the ribbon work, except for From Other Sources

Just FYI, I have tried removing and adding the Power Pivot Add-In within Excel Options. And, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Hi,

I have faced the same problem with Excel 2016 Pro Plus. I have not updated Office neither Windows in these last days, except Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have got a "solution".

Import data using Power Query (Data > Get Data)

Load To Data Model and create only connection

Return to Power Pivot

That was my suggested solution too as I posted earlier in this thread. Seems to be the only way round it

I am a beginner to Power Pivot. I'm not really sure how your solution works. I have a few tabs of data in an Excel document. Without using the From Other Sources button, how would I get these into Power Pivot?

Yea, I tried that too. no response. I'm dying

that's what i'm thinking of doing as well. "Add/Load to Data Model". 
But I am an instructor, there are some modules that I have to cover importing data into the data model. 

You can try using Power Query to Merge or Append all these data. Upon "Close and Load", select "Add to Data Model"

check out this link:

Add a query to an Excel worksheet (Power Query)

To combine data from multiple sheets:

Excel Guru - Combine Multiple Worksheets Using Power Query

I am experiencing the same issue The "From Other Sources" button stops working just today (2/7), but it still worked not two days ago (2/5). I can confirm that importing text/csv through PowerQuery is a valid workaround. I hope they will fix this soon.

Interesting. I just checked this on two builds.

Insider build 1902 b1132820008 - the button works. I never ever use it though as I always always bring data in via Power Query then load to the data model, even if I don't edit it. It allows me to edit/filter it in the future if I want.

Monthly Targeted build 1901 b11231.20130. The button is not grayed out, but when I click it it just flickers as if it is going to do something, but then nothing happens.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this feature is depreciated at some point. In Power BI, you must get data through Power Query. I think the only reason this button and any other import functions exist in Power Pivot is it came out for Excel before Power Query did. Had the release order been reversed, I doubt PP would have any import capability.

But it definitely seems to be glitchy and inconsistent in what is and isn't supported. The good news is using Power Query isn't really a work around, it is really the way it should be used going forward.

I have the same issue as well! it is working on excel 2016 on my work laptop, but not on office 365 

Hi

Same problem. However, and strangely, seems to work fine in Power BI Desktop.

Yeap, I would agree. Somehow I still would wish the button works like how the way it should, else just remove the button from the ribbon. Rather then leaving it there.

@Cfo-Bi_65 wrote:

Hi

Same problem. However, and strangely, seems to work fine in Power BI Desktop.

That button always launches Power Query in Power BI. There isn't an equivalent button in Power BI that corresponds to the "From Other Sources" button in Power Pivot for Excel that launches the table import wizard. 

Maybe they will modify that button to just launch Power Query in Excel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like it's acknowledged as a bug, and due to be fixed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office-365-excel-version-1901-build-112312013...

When 1902 will be released though...

Good news. I am sure 1902 will be in in the next few days. 1903 was released yesterday for the Insider track.

Gracias Ed, tu argumento es convincente para mí. Entonces, ya no estaré ansioso esperando una solución de Microsoft. Comenzaré a usar Power Query.

Saludos cordiales.