SOLVED

Possibility to back return in an Excel cell.

Copper Contributor
How to write a procedure or formula to have in several cells a text that After a comma or others, return back starting a new ore in the same cell. This is possibile with ALT + Enter, but I need to do automatically in mano cells. Tks a lot
2 Replies

Hello @antonio1958 , you tagged this question with "Get and Transform". Does that mean you want to do that with Power Query? 

You could do a find and replace to replace a comma with the Ascii character 10. 

If you want to do this with VBA, you can use code along these lines:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:C")) Is Nothing Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Target.Replace What:=", ", Replacement:="" & Chr(10) & "", LookAt:=xlPart, _
        SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
        ReplaceFormat:=False, FormulaVersion:=xlReplaceFormula2
    Target.WrapText = True
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End If

End Sub

This code looks at columns A to C. When a cell in these columns is edited, any comma followed by a space will be replaced with a new line and the cell will be formatted to wrap text. 

To use this code, right-click on the sheet tab and select "View Code". That will open the Code Editor Paste the code into the big code window area.

best response confirmed by antonio1958 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

Many Tks Ingeborg

Yes I was looking at possibility to use Power Query functionality like split columns in row, but it is not the right way.

Really it all comes from a Power Pivot where I used this formula

=CONCATENATEX(Range;[Generic Job Profile and code];"; ")

to have values in Pivot field. And The values (Job Profile) that is Text, is only separate by a semicolon I added in the formula.

May be bis possible to modify this formula to get Job Profile followed by a semicolon in differerent row in the same cell ? I do manually with ALT+ENTER.

Tks a lot

Antonio  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by antonio1958 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

Many Tks Ingeborg

Yes I was looking at possibility to use Power Query functionality like split columns in row, but it is not the right way.

Really it all comes from a Power Pivot where I used this formula

=CONCATENATEX(Range;[Generic Job Profile and code];"; ")

to have values in Pivot field. And The values (Job Profile) that is Text, is only separate by a semicolon I added in the formula.

May be bis possible to modify this formula to get Job Profile followed by a semicolon in differerent row in the same cell ? I do manually with ALT+ENTER.

Tks a lot

Antonio  

View solution in original post