Pivot Table gives wrong sum after using "Remove Duplicates" for Excel Tables on the source table

Copper Contributor

I was following a youtube tutorial on Tables, and from an example table, It seems like a value from a deleted row is still part of a sum in a pivot table. 

I am referring to a duplicated row (with date 04/27/2012 in screenshot) that excel deleted after identifying it as a duplicate. 

After deletion, however, it still gives a sum in a Pivot Table as if the duplicate was not deleted even when Excel says it did. 

Am I missing something here?

5 Replies

I created it after deletion.

I dont seem to have a "refresh" button.

BTW I am using Office Professional Plus 2010

Found the "refresh button" and it did fix the sum. Thanks!

It's interesting though that I had to do a refresh even if the pivot table was created after excel deleted the row.

I would suggest that you already had a pivot table based on the same data source and created a second one.

The Point is, that Excel creates a Pivot Cache in that moment the first Pivot Table is created. Excel then copies all Data from the Data Source into the Pivot Cache and closes the Connection.

Every additional Pivot Table which then will be created in Future will take the same Pivot Cache as its Data Basis.

Thats why the deletion of a row didnt take effekt unless you refresh the formerly created cache.

Best regards

Lars Küster