Pilot Logbook

Copper Contributor

I have started to construct a Pilot Logbook with around 35 years (14,000 hours) of flight data, which I exported from a database into a basic XL file with the latest entry at the top.  I have written a formula to calculate hours from chocks off to chocks on (even through midnight, into the next day) with a column calculating each leg time.

The column with leg time has been totalled at the top.

1) How do I set the end of the worksheet just underneath the first entry, around 3,600 rows down?

2) How do I keep a line free at the top of the spreadsheet after an row entry has been made?

(It is not as simple as 'inserting' a row because formulas are hidden at the top to total the hours column)

Thanks....

2 Replies
Hi BenFawkes,

It would really help if you could post a sample of the workbook to explain what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks

@BenFawkes 

A sample of your workbook would help (not your entire life history).

Meanwhile, I have attached a file that 'mocks up' a non-existent table type.

The body is a table which provides structured references that synchronise with the actual data.

The first record, comprising a row of zeros, is hidden.  That ensures number formatting etc. is inherited by any inserted row.  The table header row is reduced in size to a trim line under the totals row.  That allows the user to select a column by hovering the mouse over the line until a down arrow appears.  What appears to be a header row is no more than a copy of the hidden row.  The totals row is not the inbuilt table feature because that can only appear at the foot of the table.  Instead it contains a formula that references the appropriate column using structured referencing.

Perhaps you will find some useful ideas here.

Capture.JPG