Pie Chart does not appear after selecting data field

Copper Contributor

Occasional User of Excel. Trying to plot church budget with a pie chart. Six categories totaling 100%. When I  highlight data field and select "pie chart', chart does not appear in display field (blank field). Switching to "bar chart", everything works fine. Is there some setting that I need to toggle or specify?  Thanks. 

8 Replies

James, could you attach sample file with non-sensitive data?

Thanks for your reply.  I tried to respond on my iPhone but got error message. Forgot to mention that I am using Excel 2016. Thank you.

Jim Terrell

Hi,

the sheet you have sent is empty!

Not sure what happened with file. When I opened file just now, data is there.

Can we try one more time? I appreciate your patience.

Jim Terrell

Hello,

option 1: only select the the 2 columns with the data ( don't select the empty columns)

then insert the pie chart

option 2: delete the empty columns - then select the 2 columns then insert the pie chart

Capture.PNG

Option 1 Worked great! No other issues.

Thank you so much.

Jim Terrell

@Sergei Baklan I was having the same problem and it wasn't just the pie chart it was all the charts that I clicked on would not populate an image on the screen. I am a student and was doing a homework assignment in my Simnet e-line book and it wouldn't let me continue with any further questions until I completed that one. 

I was getting impatient and frustrated and so I thought well maybe I should scroll down and see if it is showing up below and there is was. I don't know how I rearranged the charts to show up beneath the chart list but somehow I did. 

I hope this helps someone in the future.

@pattyflowers72gmail 

Not sure I understand your issue, but glad to know you sorted it somehow out. For future, if any question, it helps if you mention on which Excel platform/version you are, and illustrate an issue if not with sample file (preferable) but with screenshot.