Paste>formulas pastes values if no formula exists

Copper Contributor

I have a spreadsheet with 8 columns for each month of the year, so 96 columns total with about 350 rows going down.  In each set of 8 columns (representing one month) there are 3 data entries and 5 formulas acting on the data.  There is a need to add rows in various places each month.  I insert the new row and copy an adjacent row all the way across the 96 columns.  Then I drop to the new row and chose "Paste>Formulas"  The formulas all copy just fine but it also copies the values from the cells with no formulas.  So I either have to go across the 96 columns and delete the values from the appropriate cells or copy and paste only the cells with formulas in the first place which is just as time consuming.  I don't understand why excel would copy and paste a value if instructed to paste only formulas.  Am I doing something wrong?

2 Replies

@Tom Maglienti 

I recommend using "structured tables" in this situation because when you insert new rows, Excel will automatically copy all the formula but leave the constant values blank. They take a little learning but they are definitely worth it.

The other, old fashioned way of doing this is to paste the block of formula, then

- select the whole target range

- use F5 to "go to" the constants only

- press delete, leaving only the formula

Hopefully i understood your query properly.

@RobTech1 

Thanks so much!  Using the f5 method will work fine for now until I have time to learn structured tables.  Will save me much time and frustration!