PLEASE HELP

Copper Contributor
Hey everyone! I’m in my new internship and my boss e-mailed me a really really extense sheet on excel with a lot of lines, columns and unnecessary information. He basically wants me to erase most of the columns and leave only a few columns that he wants. Does anyone know how can I do that? I’m using Excel’s latest version on Windows 10. Thank you.
2 Replies

If you just need to delete columns, this is very simple:

• Select the column you want to delete by clicking on the column header (the letter) so the whole column turns gray to indicate it has been selected
  • Right click on the column header to open your options & click on delete OR press ctrl & -

If you have multiple columns to delete, for example you need to delete columns E through L:

• Click (left click) on the column header for E
  • Hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor across the column header over to L to highlight all of the columns from E to L
  • Right click on the column header to open your options & click on delete OR press ctrl & -

It works the same way to delete rows, just click on the number of the row you want to delete to highlight it, right click and click on delete OR press ctrl & -.

Sidenote: It sounds like you're fairly new to Excel and will be using it at your internship and likely any job you get, so I'd highly recommend watching some videos or taking free courses to learn the basics. Here's a free course https://www.udemy.com/excel_quickstart to help you get started, but there are plenty of other free resources online, including YouTube. Best of luck to you!

Thank you very much! But I’m afraid it’s not that simple, because the sheet doesn’t have a pattern, the information is all rough and tumble, so if a just erase columns I’ll loose information.