Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to create a budget spreadsheet that will have 3 columns:

task. % allocated. $ amount.

so for example: if the total budget is $100:

task 1. 20%. $20

task 2. 50%. $50

etc.

For some reason, I can't seem to input a formula on the $ amount column, in order to automatically calculate the $ based on the % from total. I've tried $=%*total, or $=total/%, but the result is so odd. it shows it momentarily, but won't update based on changes I make. it also won't copy the formula to bellow rows, it only copies the specific value (even though it does show the correct formula). I don't know if this matters, but this is all in a table (does that have an effect on formulas?). I've attached screenshots bellow. anyone please have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thank you!

14 Replies

@stpstein 

Why don't you use absolute references, e.g.

=$D$2/[@[Allocation %]]

@Sergei Baklan 

I don't know why it won't accept anything? I feel like it's such a simple formula.. (screenshot attached)

@stpstein   Perhaps this will help. You seem to be using the @ symbol, which I've never used (which may mean I'm not at all qualified to even comment, I realize), but here's what I learn from Google.

clipboard_image_0.png

Hi,

the thing is I'M not putting in the @ sign. I'm simply choosing that row and that's what it generates. I thought it might be because it's in a table (I chose the data and clicked "format as table") but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. 

@mathetes 

is it possible to upload your actual spreadsheet so Sergei and I could look at it rather than screen shots?

By the way, I'm on Excel for Mac, so don't have all the functionality that you might, depending on your system.

I just tried it again and rather than clicking on the row I manually put the cell number and that worked (=$D$2*C4) so I guess it's solved. I would love to understand why I couldn't just pick the specific cell, but maybe that has to do with the table formatting?.. @mathetes 

and I'm on Mac as well :)

@stpstein 

That looks like

image.png

I guess it shall be multiplication instead of dividing.

@stpstein   entirely possible that it's a Table thing. What you did is what I was thinking...and that should copy down the rest of the column too!

@stpstein 

If you use Tables better to work with structured references.

Nope, won't work for me @Sergei Baklan 

@stpstein 

How do you enter the formula? If manually type =$D$2* and when click on the cell in column Allocation % in the same row - it shall work. 

That's exactly what I did and that error message shows @Sergei Baklan 

Sorry, correction. if I simply choose the cell, the formula would be: =$D$2*[@[Allocation 

it doesn't have the %]] at the end. if I add it, the error message shows

@Sergei Baklan 

@stpstein 

Add nothing manually, use column name as it is.