ODBC driver issue in Macro VBA

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I ve got an issue with ODBC driver once using Macro. In very short Macro works fine when I am using 2 xlsx files (it compares some data so firstly I am selecting and loading 2 files). However, it shows an error like this when I am comparing xlsx file with xls file. I can select both files but when I try to go ahead (clicking NEXT) an issue appears. I have office 365 (32 bit version) and what is interesting my colleague has 64 bit version and when he is using other files xlsx and xls it is working fine for him. Theoretically I could try to re-install office but want to be sure what is the reason as I don't want to tell all the users to re-install office to 64 bit versions if they face the same issue on their machines. Or what other solutions could be applied here?

PS. first phrase below on Error message (not in English) it is "odbc driver does not support the requested properties"

Please help,

Michal

odbc driver.png

2 Replies

Hello @Mike1983 ,

this may not be what you want to hear, but the 64 bit version of Office should really be the default installation these days. It's only a few legacy add-ins that still require 32 bit Excel and you may not even run these.  64 bit Excel can use more of your computer's memory and will run better.

Hello @Ingeborg Hawighorst

Thanks for reply. I've re-installed from 32-bit verstion to 64 bit and now it is working when use XLSX and XLS fiels created on this version of Excel. However, if I try to use XLS file created before when I was using 32-bit version it is still the same problem.  So it is working once I am comparing XLSX with XLS both created on 64 bit Excel version.

I am still wondering if there is any way to handle the case when file was created on 32-bit Excel version. I understand that 32-bit is becoming legacy but if you got a file like this then you are stuck and macro will not go ahead :(

Btw - first phrase was in Polish and it is "odbc driver does not support the requested properties".