Numerical Sort Problem

Copper Contributor

I have a small worksheet that has first name, last name, address, phone and email. I am trying to sort numerically by the address, i.e. 2899 East 144th Avenue #101 Brighton MD 04001. All entries in that column are NUMBERS. When I sort A-Z I get a column sorted different than the original but still not correct. I have tried changing the entries in that column to TEXT instead but get the same exact results. All cells are the same height.  I can go to different worksheets with basically the same layout and they sort correctly.  This one has me more than baffled. Even changed the "#" to "Unit" but that did not help either. Any clues for me to try now? Thanks.

1 Reply

Hi@Pattycake 

Without seeing the spreadsheet, it's a little hard to identify the problem, but I understand why you might not want to share confidential data.

First issue:  You've said

I am trying to sort numerically by the address, i.e. 2899 East 144th Avenue #101 Brighton MD 04001

and then you've said

All entries in that column are NUMBERS

2899 East 144th Avenue #101 Brighton MD 04001 can not be represented as a number...

If you have the full address like this in a single cell, then it must be TEXT.  Having said that, it should still sort correctly...

If you can't send a spreadsheet, could you send us a screenshot with anything confidential blurred out?