No setting default margins?

Copper Contributor

I noticed this note when perusing the help topic for page layout in Excel Office 365.

Note: Page margins that you define in a particular worksheet are stored with that worksheet when you save the workbook. You can't change the default page margins for new workbooks.

I am really curious why this feature would be taken away.  It seems short sighted to stop allowing users to set up their default template for office

5 Replies

@listondavis You can apply all the custom settings you want, then save a template workbook.

See: Customize how Excel starts.

HTH,

@Smitty Smith Page margins aren't included.  My OP was a direct quote from Microsoft Help in Excel, where they say that page margins can't be changed as a default setting.  Up until 2016 or so, that was not the case.

Settings that you can save in a workbook or worksheet template

• Cell and sheet formats.

• Page formats and print area settings for each sheet.

• Cell styles.

• The number and type of sheets in a workbook.

• Protected and hidden areas of the workbook. You can hide sheets, rows, and columns and prevent changes to worksheet cells.

• Text you want to repeat, such as page headers and row and column labels.

• Data, graphics, formulas, charts, and other information.

• Data validation settings.

• Macros, hyperlinks, and ActiveX controls on forms.

• Workbook calculation options and window view options.

@listondavis Thanks for the heads up. I suppose an alternative would be to record a macro applying your page setup settings, then add that to your Personal.xlsb workbook. That way it will be available to any open workbook.

@Smitty Smith Fair point.  While it's not ideal to lose the feature out of the box, this is a solution that works fine for me as I will extensively use VBA.  Appreciate the workaround.

@listondavis I'll see if I can't get in touch with the PM, and find out why it'snot supported anymore.