SOLVED

No One Seems to Know The Answer...Can you help with this "Simple" Excel issue? Please pretty please.

Copper Contributor

See 2 min video and you'll understand.

video: ...

2 people said they thought it looked like the "automatically insert a decimal point" is enabled if on a PC and it needs to be unselected/unchecked. 

But on Mac when I hit  "Command," and go to edit it shows that the "display this number of decimals" is not selected by default. Is there somewhere else I need to go, different setting?

I am on a Mac using Excel version 16.28

If anyone knows what issue is and how to fix, I would be so grateful, this is driving me nuts for sure.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by helpfuld (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@helpfuld 

I am a Windows user but I am sure that you need to change the regional setting for changing the decimal separator and the date format.

You may change them in your System Preferences --> Language & Region --> Advanced --> and in there, you may change the decimal separator from comman to a period and date format as per your requirement.

When you input 9/2, Excel takes 9 as month and 2 as day and it returns 2/9 which would be equivalent to the 2nd September. Try to insert a year also and see what date do you get.

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer 

Thank you very much for the response. Your response helped me to solve the date issue, but the other problem with the 12.95 amount is still not working.  When I put 12.95 it is changing it to this weird .5697? Any idea how to fix that?

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer  Actually, that was weird, it was not working for the 12.95 issue, but now it seems to be working. I just deleted those cells and now it works when I type 12.95 it actually stays as 12.95.

I think issue is solved. So for mac I had to change my actual Mac settings. It was on Indonesia, instead of US because I got computer repaired in Bali like 2 years ago and those guys must've changed my setting and never put it back. Craziness. 

For Mac OS version 10.10.1, please follow these instructions:

1. Close the Excel application
  2. Click on the Apple button
  3. Select System Preferences
  4. Select Language and Region
  5. Click Advanced
  6. Change the Decimal separator from a comma (,) to a full stop (.)
  7. Then click on Ok/Save
  8. Test the Excel import again

@helpfuld 

Great! Glad your issue has been fixed.

Please accept the post with the proposed solution as an Accepted Answer to mark your question as Solved.

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer I marked your post as best response. I do not see anywhere to accept as answer?

@helpfuld 

Thanks! Marking a post as Best Response is same as accepting a post as an Answer.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by helpfuld (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@helpfuld 

I am a Windows user but I am sure that you need to change the regional setting for changing the decimal separator and the date format.

You may change them in your System Preferences --> Language & Region --> Advanced --> and in there, you may change the decimal separator from comman to a period and date format as per your requirement.

When you input 9/2, Excel takes 9 as month and 2 as day and it returns 2/9 which would be equivalent to the 2nd September. Try to insert a year also and see what date do you get.

View solution in original post