Move data columns and rows

Copper Contributor

Good afternoon all

Is there a way I can move numbers in col B 56099* to col A and one row up as A B 3-4 in sample.

5609904176 was in B4. Need to leave rows moved from as other data further over in the sheet that is needed.

Alternatively move all data in row starting with 56099* to end of previous row, deleting row with 56099*

There are 230 rows to move

6 Replies

See attached file, is this what you need? Please note that your data is not following same pattern.

Should it always alternate one row with "Points/N" and then next row with "2017/8 card number"? Currently it does not, so moving all "2017/8 card number" values may not get as accurate as you need.

I don't understand what you want here: "Alternatively move all data in row starting with 56099* to end of previous row, deleting row with 56099*"

Ok Not quite what I need to do. 

However if I forget about just moving the card number and move all the data in the row containg the card number to the end of the previous line That works, However doing it line by is a total pain so wondered if ther is a quicker wat IE a formula that will do this Even if it moves the data and leave the blank lines that can then be deleted as seperate job that will save me hours. Will attach a section of the spread sheet showing original data with rows hidden to make it easier and the end rssult of the move.

I am selecting the boxes needed to be moved xopy selecy where they need to be and paste then remove the empty lin still 300+ lines to sort Any help appreciated

@John M Cowan wrote:

Ok Not quite what I need to do. 

However if I forget about just moving the card number and move all the data in the row containg the card number to the end of the previous line That works, However doing it line by is a total pain so wondered if ther is a quicker wat IE a formula that will do this Even if it moves the data and leave the blank lines that can then be deleted as seperate job that will save me hours. Will attach a section of the spread sheet showing original data with rows hidden to make it easier and the end rssult of the move.

I am selecting the boxes needed to be moved xopy selecy where they need to be and paste then remove the empty lin still 300+ lines to sort Any help appreciated

Pic of sample data.jpg

sample data added

John, sorry, your data is too bad...

I tried doing few things, following some patterns but it's too complicated to have something that will move everything as you need.

Try selecting more cells of same column and move them where you need. And then another column and so on, until you have everything moved.

Hopefully this is one time job for you. If you will always get data in this format, you will need to fix something at the source of the data.

Cheers.

Ok Thank you for trying, back to moving line by line it is a one off and would not have taken it on if I had realised how long it would take Have already edited down the original data set exported from the old customer database It was 34 col by 3010 rows. What I am working on now is just the members who were issued cards in 2017/8 and their data. Once in single rows per member and correctly headed, I can cut and past by column into the new customer database import format and import into the new sequel customer database that links to the new EPOS software for the client. I have got extra time from my client but must install and go live Monday/Tuesday next week. 145 rows done 558 to go, mark, cut, select, paste, delete, now only 279 times. Thought about putting data into Access or Sequel and writing a SQL but, with the data layout do not see how that would work either. Microsoft Excel Pro Support could not see a solution to automate the job either, that is why I tried the forum as was losing the will to live doing it line by line. 

Once again thank you Vitalie for trying.

@Vitalie Ciobanu wrote:

I tried doing few things, following some patterns but it's too complicated to have something that will move everything as you need.

Try selecting more cells of same column and move them where you need. And then another column and so on, until you have everything moved.

Hopefully this is one time job for you. If you will always get data in this format, you will need to fix something at the source of the data.

Cheers.

@Vitalie Ciobanu wrote:

Cheers.

Once again thank you Vitalie for trying.