SOLVED

Mouse right click pop-up menu stopped working in Excel 2013

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am using Excel for a long time. Since 2 days (probably I did some wrong shortcut key combination??) I cannot open pop-up menu with right click of the mouse.

Right click works everywhere in the menus and icons of Excel, even if I select full row or column still works, but in the area where are all cells it is not functional. Independent if it is existing excel book or new one. Still, if I open new Macro sheet within the book, it works there.

I tried restarting, also found few tips to write in VB some commands, but still no effect! 

Thank you for any support solving this annoying problem!

Emil

24 Replies
best response confirmed by Emil Garnev (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Open the VBA editor (alt+F11), press control+g. Type this text:
Application.CommandBars("Cell").Reset
At the end of that line, press enter.
If that does not help, repeat the above with:
Application.CommandBars("Cell").enabled=true

Thank you, Jan Karel!

Second suggestion worked! And I tried different suggestions I found, but only this one worked for me!

Have a great week!

Emil

Hi Jan,
It is worked on that current excel file when you do the vba editor. When I close it or open different excel file, the right click still not functioning. Please advise.
Sounds as if there is an add-in which changes the right-click menu. Check which add-ins you have installed (File, Options, Add-ins tab, select either Excel add-ins or COM add-ins from the drop-down and click Go).
Hi Jan Karel, I got checked the excel and COM add-ins but none of it is ticked. Update : The user feedback to me that now his excel are okay, but we still do not know why it is become like that.

Thank you

@Ameer_manan This may be caused by any (COM or Excel) add-in or by a "normal" Excel workbook. Either of those may contain VB(A) or RibbonX code which modifies the menus.

Hi Jan!

I'm using office 365 the latest version Excel 2019. Mouse right click pop-up menu stopped working, I already have tried your suggestions but it is still not working,

Do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks!
Does it work if you start Exxcel in safe mode ( press and hold the ctrl key while you launch Excel)?

@Jan Karel Pieterse  yes, it works in safe mode (thank you) but if i close and relaunch in normal mode It does not work. 

That means an addin may be causing the problem. Uncheck them one by one to find the one that causes it.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

right click did not work in safe mode or in normal mode

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

tried with both the options, nothing worked for me, please help

Hi @cauditrana 

Vijay's first suggestion at this link worked for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/mouse-right-click-not-working-in-excel-sheets...

Basically close Excel > navigate to "%appdata%\Microsoft\Excel" > move the files to a back up folder > relaunch Excel. 

It worked. Thank you!
This worked for me in that I can now right-click on a cell. However, right-click is not working within the formula bar or if a column is selected. Is there another CommandBars reset/enable option that will fix this?

solved. Repeated using "column" and "formula bar". @leonard333 

Well this is weird. I can't right click on vba buttons. Is there a way to reset right-click for ALL???@leonard333 

If your worksheet is protected, right-clicking on buttons does not work
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Emil Garnev (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Open the VBA editor (alt+F11), press control+g. Type this text:
Application.CommandBars("Cell").Reset
At the end of that line, press enter.
If that does not help, repeat the above with:
Application.CommandBars("Cell").enabled=true

View solution in original post