Missing Edit in Excel option from Excel Online (Shared from Onedrive)

Copper Contributor

Hello,  I have an employee who's sharing an Excel with Macro with edit permissions with a customer (not on our network) and myself (who's on the network). 

1. This file does not allow for Editing in Excel for the customer and only in the browser (See screenshot)

2. This file does allow Editing in Excel when I access through our network

3. The file does not allow for Editing in Excel when I access our O365 platform from home.

I can't seem to find any documentation on why the Edit in Excel option is missing.  Can someone please help?

The image below is a little crude.  Note the Green box that provides the option to "Edit in Browser" and the Edit in Excel is missing.Edit in Excel.png

5 Replies

Thanks for the response Tanya. 

A follow up question.  I understand that we can't use Macro Enabled Workbooks online, however why is the Edit in Excel option missing? The option to download the Workbook is there, but I don't want a downloaded copy and want to edit the original and why would I be allowed to edit the workbook in Excel on my work PC but not at home?

Here's a picture of the same document accessed on my work PC.  Note the option to Edit in Excel is available to me.  When using my home PC it only provides me with the option to Edit in Browser. 

Worbook Options.PNG

I am interested in the answer to this as well.  The "Edit in Excel" option recently disappeared for me.  It used to be available when I opened a spreadsheet in browser, but now my only option is "edit in browser."  Very frustrating.

From the testing we did we found the following results.

If a file is shared with an external user, who doesn't have an O365 account, then you'll only get the Edit in Browser option.  If you want the edit in excel you'll need to sign into your O365 account or download the file.  This poses a bit of an issue when sharing files with external users as most don't have an O365 account and there can be limited excel functionality with the web app.  Macro's is a great example of where your limitations lay because to fully get the experience of a Macro then you do need to edit the file in excel. 

I'd like to see the option show based on the version of excel that's running off your PC, not what version of O365 you have.

Hello!

We have the same problem but in our case from an different perspective.

We all have the same access (within the network) so we can all access the files, however; Without the "Edit Workbook" option the file is locked by the first person opening it. Before, a number of people could open the workbook and then anyone could choose to edit.

Is there a way to get the "Edit Workbook" option back?